Sunday, July 5, 2015

Cooking as a couple


I had a fabulous morning yesterday.   Not because I slept in, not because it was another day off, but because my husband picked out a recipe from one of my cookbooks to make to bring to a friends picnic and he said, "let's do this together."

I love to cook, and love that time in the kitchen.  there was something special about this, and I was giddy about it.  

He pulled out my favorite Barefood Contessa cook book and picked out this jambalaya recipe.  We made our shopping list and went to get the ingredients!

We woke up and ran to the store to get a couple items that we weren't sure if we had enough of and we got started at 9:30 in the morning.  

We turned on our streaming radio station and got to work!  First step, peeling and declining the shrimp!
We stood side by side in the sink to get this done! 

Next, I chopped up large onions and filled the cutting board! 


John was really into making sure the rice was clean!


Next, I chopped the red peppers!  

Hubby chopped the kielbasa!


I got the celery diced! 


Nexxt, hubby did the hard part and seeded the jalapeños! 
I squeezed the lemons to get our fresh lemon juice!


then diced and mined the jalapeños, that's a lot of jalapeños! 


We prepped the chicken by paper towel blotting and seasoning with salt and pepper!


Finally, at Noon, we were all prepped and ready to start cooking! 😊


Here is step by step of what the directions were and the steps that followed with us!






It turned out fantastic!  It was full of flavor and delicious!  We had a great time making it together and we finished everything around 2:30!  

So while the jambalaya was cooking, I had to make sweet cornbread to go with it! 

I use a pretty basic recipe
35 m12 servings189

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hawaii Day 10- 1/30

Getting ready to head out of Hawaii and hubs helping with my hair :)  This is sooo beautiful! Cheese :) Laid back! Br...